Some counties in Texas offer burial assistance when the family cannot pay for a burial. This service is provided only when there are absolutely no other resources from the estate of the deceased or from family members. This program provides a simple burial (graveside service) or cremation through participating county-approved funeral homes, cemeteries and crematories to qualifying clients.
UT Southwestern handles burial assistance for Dallas County. Each person who participates contributes substantially to the education of future doctors and to medical research.
UT Southwestern Medical Center
Willed Body Program
P.O. Box 35227
Dallas, TX 75235-0227
Next of kin should call 214-648-2221 (option #1)
The body will not be accepted:
- If the body has been embalmed
- Cases of a contagious disease such as virulent herpes, hepatitis, HIV, tuberculosis, or some cases of senile dementia
- Cases of severe obesity, emaciation, body contracture, or jaundice
- Height/weight is not proportional
- If they do not accept the body, then they will dispose of the body but not give back the ashes.
The body will be cremated when UT Southwestern has concluded with the body.
- The cremated remains may be returned to the next of kin if the request has been made in advance. Your next of kin will be notified by letter of the following options:
- Receive the ashes by certified mail
- Make an appointment to receive the ashes in person
- Burial at sea – the ashes will be scattered at sea
- Remains are usually returned within 18 to 24 months.
- During office hours, call Troy Taylor (in the medical examiner’s office) at 940-349-2870
- After hours (24-hour line), call sheriff’s office 940-349-1600 ext. 9 (This will get you to dispatch who can connect you with an investigator from the medical examiner’s office).
- The process can take up to 3 weeks.
- Body pickup and county cremations are available based on financial need.
This service is provided only when there are absolutely no other resources from the estate of the deceased or from family members. This program provides a simple burial (graveside service) or cremation through participating county-approved funeral homes, cemeteries and crematories to qualifying clients.
- If you need assistance, please call 817-531-5620; choose your language option, and then select option 5.
- The death must have occurred in Tarrant County.
- You have two options:
- Direct burial with no embalming or service;
- Cremation – the remains will be returned in a cardboard box.
- Tarrant County works with various funeral homes, so families must apply through the funeral home because funds will only be given to the funeral home not directly to families. Funds provided by Tarrant County cannot be combined with family’s fundraising efforts.
- This usually occurs within 24-48 hours.