Pets can be an integral part of any family as their companionship, emotional support, and unconditional love creates a strong bond. While it is easy to celebrate your pet’s birthdays, got-ya-days, and have them present for all your family’s milestones, grieving the loss of a pet can be very challenging.
The following are some resources to support you in grieving the loss of a pet.
Please note: This resource list is provided for information purposes only and is not an endorsement of the organizations listed or the services provided.
Online Loss Support Groups
- Argus Institute at CSU Veterinary Medical Center
- The Pet Loss Support Page
- Pet Loss Grief Support
- Rainbows Bridge
- Coping with the death of your pet | The Humane Society of the United States
Pet Loss Support Groups
- Texas Pet Meadow Pet Loss Support Group
- Pet Loss Support – SF SPCA
- Listing of Pet Loss Support options (Texas)
Pet Loss Helplines
- Cornell University College of Veterinary Medicine 607-253-3932, 6pm – 9pm, EST, Tuesday and Thursday
- Tufts University Pet Loss Support hotline 508-839-7966
- WSU Pet Loss Hotline 866-266-8635
Pet Loss Books
- When Your Pet Dies: A Guide to Mourning, Remembering and Healing by Alan D. Wolfelt, Ph.D.
- Grieving The Death of a Pet by Betty J. Carmack
- Sorrow on the Loss of Your Pet by Moira Anderson Allen, M.Ed.
- Pet Loss and Human Bereavement by William Kay
- Animals as Teachers and Healers by Susan Chernak McElroy
- A Final Act of Caring: Ending the Life of an Animal Friend by Herb and Mary Montgomery
- Pet Loss: A Thoughtful Guide for Adults and Children by Herbert A. Neiburg, Ph.D.
- It’s Okay To Cry by Maria Luz Quintana